Wednesday, April 4, 2018

A New Way of Thinking About DNFs

When I listen to Anne Bogel's What Should I Read Next? podcast, I typically enjoy the bookish banter and maybe come away with a recommendation or two. What I don't usually come away with is an idea that could majorly change my reading life. But I think that just may have happened with this week's episode.

Anne was interviewing Roxanne Coady, the owner of independent bookstore RJ Julia in Madison, Connecticut. As the pair chatted, they found common ground in frequently abandoning (or at least setting aside) books they start due to the nature of their work. Anne has talked about this many times before, but then Roxanne talked about a shift in her reading life since becoming a bookseller, saying: "I realized the number of books that I could read that were likely to be great was limitless and if I was struggling to get through a book, I owed it to the next book to drop the book that I'm not loving and go on to the next one." And it was one of those proverbial light-bulb moments for me. Her statement made so much sense, but I had never thought of it that way before.

While I'm not completely opposed to DNF'ing books, it's very much a rarity for me. I am absolutely one of those readers who often finds myself wondering, as Anne pointed out, "but what if it's about to get good?" And while I'm well aware books don't have actual feelings, I DO often find myself feeling it's not fair to judge a book I haven't finished. I often feel it's not fair to "give up" on a book I'm already part way through -- especially if it landed on my TBR by way of a trusted source for recommendations. I've already invested time and oftentimes money in that particular title. I chose to pick that book up for a reason and let's be honest, who really likes to admit they were wrong?

So while I doubt Roxanne's philosophy is going to make me a master DNF-er, I am going to reconsider which books I'm thinking about when I wonder whether or not quitting is "fair." It's not like I've never heard similar arguments before: "there are so many good books out there" and "life's too short," just to name two. I've heard them before -- and I even agree with them! But it's still hard to make a judgement against a book that's right in front of me sometimes. It's hard to think of that potential "next great book," particularly if I'm not even sure what I want to pick up next. Sticking with a so-so book until the end often just feels easier, even when it's a slog. But I love Roxanne's optimism about the limitlessness of great books out there, so I'm going to give it a try.

4 comments:

  1. I love that way of thinking about it! (I'm way behind on listening to What Should I Read Next?, so I haven't gotten to this episode yet. On the plus side, I'm finally caught up on Read-Aloud Revival and Books Between!) I am terrible at DNFing as well, but this philosophy might help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DNFing is still hard for me, but this philosophy really struck me. I have a book in limbo right now -- I put it aside and I can't decide if I should finish it off on audio or just abandon it. I love this way of thinking about it, but it's still a challenge sometimes!

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately, I have heard this reason for DNFing before and I just can't bring myself to do it! Part of it is that I don't feel good about reviewing a book I've not finished and I hate to waste the time I've spent on a book by not finishing it and doing a review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrible about writing reviews lately, but I can see why you wouldn't want to DNF for that reason since you write so many more of them! I'm very cautious of what I say about a book if I haven't finished it -- typically only a few lines on Goodreads and I don't give ratings if I don't finish.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think :)